Growing Software Companies
Typical Problems of Software Business
Countless are the difficulties and challenges faced by software businesses. Some, however, are common to most software companies. Although presenting different levels of intensity, the following commonly found issues can be pragmatically addressed, opening up great opportunities for improvement and subsequent gains at financial levels for both the short and long terms:
- Unclear, dubious and/or conflicting strategic guidelines (products/services, markets, target clients, positioning).
- Dissatisfied customers.
- Increasing costs of customer support and product maintenance.
- Limited sales.
- Low, non-managed productivity in research and development, services, support, sales, marketing.
- High levels of wasted, non-billable time in services (to clients and partners).
- On-going liability generation through products, sales commitments, and services.
- High turnover and frustration of employees.
- Disrespect for company procedures and policies. Lack of management over corporate processes.
- Difficulties and high costs for knowledge management.
- Low response time to clients and market in general–products, services, sales.
- Lack of focus and control in solution management–products and services.
- Poor corporate communication–strategies and operations (inter-areas, customers, market).
Pragmatically exploring the common issues listed above invariably means tapping on great opportunities to maximize financial returns, improve operational scalability and increase the sustainability of a company. Common opportunities include:
- Improved quality of products and services.
- Higher than average productivity–establishment of competitive advantage.
- Risks mitigation.
- Managed, measured, foreseeable results.
- Focus and optimization of invested resources–management, technical resources, money and time.
- Improved, lower-cost customer support.
- Improved customer relationship–more repeat business; improved retention.
- Expedited, simplified service projects.
- Reduced losses in services.
- Improved project management.
- More competitive portfolios of products and services. More innovation–faster development and roll-out of solutions.
- Increased sales.
Click here to learn more about typical benefits from our consulting services.
Use our week-short, company-wide Operational Diagnostic to identify the causes of issues your company may be facing and what opportunities you can leverage right away.